Working with the ‘Energy Body’ is an integral aspect of wellness therapies like Reiki.
The Energy Body also goes by other names such as aura and energy field.
The Energy Body is typically depicted as an invisible field of energy around the physical body. It is not static. Instead, it is seen as a fluid and dynamic field that intermingles with the physical body.
From a practical standpoint, the Energy Body represents the sum total of an individual’s quality of life. This includes –
- Physical Health & Wellness – How healthy an individual is and how good they feel in their body.
- Mental Makeup – What kind of thoughts pre-occupy an individual’s mind, how they harness the power of their mind , does their mind mostly work for or against them.
- Emotional Wellbeing – How an individual feels and processes their positive as well as negative emotions.
- Social Support & Connection – How connected one feels to family, friends and to the world at large, what is the quality of these connections.
- Spiritual Strength – How much one is able to tap in to their source of inner strength, what is their level of connection to the Universe (or a higher non-physical power) and their ability to feel supported by the same.
The Energy Body is divided into sub-systems called ‘Chakras’ or ‘Energy Centres.’ Each of the Chakras represents a certain aspect of human life.
Since the Energy Body and its Chakras cannot be seen or measured in a concrete manner, their existence may be labeled a ‘hypothesis,’ when viewed through a scientific lens. Such concepts may also seem illusory to many.
However, before dismissing the hypothesis, it may help to reflect on the inherent wisdom it contains and the potential it holds to help people create well-being in their lives (the significance of each Chakra shall be discussed in detail in future posts).
When we work on a specific chakra, we work on a certain aspect of life and strive to bring it into balance and harmony. In other words, we work on becoming better.
When we work consciously on each of the chakras, we address almost all aspects of human existence and move towards creating a well-grounded and well-rounded life.
This is one of the primary goals of energy based wellness therapies.